Thursday, September 2, 2010

DC HERE I COME!!!!!

Last evening, I accomplished what I thought was impossible. I reached the $2300 required fundraising minimum to participate in the Susan G Komen 3-Day for the Cure. With a few more donation promises on their way, I will go above that minimum. I still have 5 weeks until the walk, so I'm going to do all I can until then. It's not about just getting by. It's about doing all I can to help win the fight against this disease. I am very blessed to have caught this disease early. I am a one-year survivor so far. I decided to take my situation and use it for good. After my surgery last year, I went through a couple of days where I was depressed and I thought my family and friends forgot about me. I was told by Dr Hazard(the awesome surgeon who played a major role in saving my life!) that it was normal to feel down after going through what I had gone through as long as it didn't consume my life. It was then that I decided that I wanted to make a difference and reach out to help this cause. When my sister submitted her donation, making it official for me to go to DC, I was ecstatic! I know I've been going on and on about this for the last 9 months, but this is as important to me as a wedding or a pregnancy! After all, it took 9 months to reach the goal, and there is a lot of preparation involved for the "big event". I have no significant other. My son is 17 and self-sufficient. I guess one would say this is what I live for now-fighting to help put an end to breast cancer. While there are women out there who were blessed to have survived stage 4 breast cancer, there are still women who die from it everyday. There are millions of women who can't afford mammograms. Chemo and radiation can get rather expensive. PET scans cost approx $4,000. This isn't about ME-it's about those who have won the fight. It's about those who continue to fight. It's about those who lost the fight too soon. Most importantly, it's about making sure future generations(such as my beautiful niece Erica and my 3 beautiful great-nieces Penelope Layne, Marlena Verity, & Isabelle Grace) don't have to go through what my sister and I went through. I have 5 weeks of intense training ahead of me! A BIG THANK YOU to those who have supported me in this journey!!! It means more to me than y'all will ever know!! I will keep everyone updated on my progress!! God Bless!!

No comments:

Post a Comment