Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I Made a Promise & I WILL Stick to It!!

When I was declared a breast cancer survivor on August 7, 2009, I couldn't believe I had beaten such a horrible disease. While there are other women out there who went through an even tougher situation than me, breast cancer at ANY stage is not easy. I may not have had to go through chemo or radiation, nor did I have to take medication for 5 yrs, but I endured 2 major surgeries which left my body altered for the rest of my life. I went through a very short period of depression post-op. However, I got back up and I decided to take my experience with this disease and reach out to other women who have been affected by this disease.

Back in October, I completed all 60 miles in the Susan G Komen 3-Day for the Cure in Washington, DC. Each walker is required to raise $2300 in order to participate in the event. It was stressful raising all of that money. There were times I felt like it was impossible. I kept my faith and I ended up raising $2816 total. Not too bad considering they were all individual donations and 1 giftcard fundraiser! While I do plan on participating in another 3-Day, I've decided to wait until 2012. I'm going to get a head start on fundraising starting this Summer.

In the meantime, I NEED to stick to the promise I made to help put an end to to breast cancer forever! I've decided to participate in the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure in Philadelphia, PA on Sunday, May 8th, 2011. The Race for the Cure is a 5K, which one can choose to either run or walk. I'm opting to walk. I'm going to register this coming Friday and I will post the link to my fundraising page on Facebook. You all WILL see this link frequently. I have 3 promised donations already, but I haven't decided on a goal yet. There is no minimum donation requirement to participate in the Race, which makes it less stressful. I am very excited to do this. 2 of my colleagues are participating in the Pittsburgh race, which will be held on the same day as the Philadelphia race. I am very grateful to both of them for helping to put an end to breast cancer forever!!

When people pull together, incredible things can happen! :) I WILL NOT GIVE UP until there is a cure or a 100% survival rate! I received TONS of support in my 3-Day journey, and there is not a doubt in my mind I will receive the same love and support in participating in the Race for the Cure! Again, keep an eye out for the link!! THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment